Sunday, March 1, 2009

Allegro or Largo

In the olde days, "without a moment to spare" implied that something had happened just in the nick of time. It now means that everyone is so busy that the wound has to be potentially fatal before it gets the emergency room doctor's attention. Someone actually sat in the emergency room waiting area and died from a stabbing wound.

"Sir! We all think our "emergency" is the most important one. The doctor will be with you shortly."

Sometimes it's not so blatantly obvious that the needs of humanity are blurring in the background. Sometimes the things that we don't have time for are things that are really important, not life threatening, and unbelievably worthwhile, given their moment.

Someone recently told me they are biding their time, hating their job, until they can retire... oh wait, that was me, but as I watched a large redheaded woodpecker out the window this morning and thought of how comforting and wonderful the nurses were for my Grandma after her stroke last week, I thought how offensive it is to just exist when there are people who need others to help them and people who dedicate their lives to providing this help.

I check my investments and do a little calculating to decide when I'll be able to move on to retirement and ...and what? Waiting to die?

Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the whole scope of things, and when my view involuntarily expands to include a larger part of the world around me, it's pretty scary how shallow my existence is. Perhaps there's something that can be done about it.
Sometimes facing things is more painful than numbly ignoring them, but sometimes, given their moment, these things lead you to where you really want to be anyway.

Part venting, part grieving, partridge in a pear tree...What?
It can't all be morose.

No comments: