Saturday, December 29, 2007

In the beginning

Let’s call me the marathon man, or the son of the marathon man. My father doesn’t run so it’s more of a figurative name that shows my true lineage from ancient runners. I prescribe to the notion that I control my own destiny: I imagine, therefore I think I am. All of this to say that, though I may look more like one with a Napoleon complex, in my heart I am one with a Haile Gebrselassie complex. The movie “Endurance” fills me with the idea that I may amount to something someday, something extraordinary.
I have achieved a lot as a runner but, with my eye always on what’s next, I may be a little bit intense at times. I think that this mostly comes from doubting what my ultimate ability is, and trying to improve on that predetermined mark.

I raised 2 kids that both have the ability to be far more than I could ever be. I am looking at a picture of my son as a freshman in high school in the semi finals of the state wrestling tournament. I could never have been there, but I made sure that he could be. Somehow that plan backfired on me and he ended up hating the sport and, for a couple of years, me. I think we’re past that now, but he probably has the right to carry it over for a few more years if he’d like to. The question is: How can good intentions be so misguided? I think the answer is a simple one; the intentions were not good at their core. The core was rotten and not really about what was good for him. Part of the problem is that I grew up with my kids, and learned valuable lessons about life after I was past the point of needing them as a parent. The other part of the problem is that I am simply not a good parent. In retrospect I wouldn’t have kids…until I was 30 that is…but, who knew?

I have found running to be the perfect thing for me, and endurance running fits even better with my tendencies toward excess in pretty much all aspects of my life. When I run I can be “the marathon man,” and I can have a purpose and maybe an ultimate result in my life that is extraordinary.

The universe amazes me, people confuse me, running grounds me, and my kids make me wish I could have been more than I am. I am here to share the nonsense that fills my head, and you must believe that it truly fills my head.

Ciao

No comments: