Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sweet Peas

I have not run a marathon for several years and recently picked March second as my come back marathon. I only intend to run a solid race, and not to over do it. I ran longer this morning than I have for a while, and though I enjoyed it I realized that I have some work to do. My body is used to being given the nourishment it needs as it is needed, and not utilizing what is stored. I must say that I now have more stored than I have had for 10 years, so utilizing it should not be a difficult task. I had no water or food with me, and I went through several stages of deprivation.

As my energy stores went low, and I was mildly dehydrated, I developed cravings for various foods. You know that you are truly hungry when you crave peas and potatoes and corn. Highly refined sugars like candy bars and ice cream were not even on the list. As I pressed on, partly to achieve what I had set out to achieve, and partly because I had several miles to go to get to the prearranged meeting place with my wife, the next phase of suffering kicked in. A wave of emotion swept over me and I was sorry for nearly everything I had done wrong in my life. I vowed to be a better person and make the wrongs right, if I could just taste sweet succulent peas one more time.

At that moment I passed a bottle of urine in a tree along the trail. Someone had used their empty water bottle to hold their urine, and then had displayed it for the masses to enjoy. I didn’t have to urinate as I was fairly dehydrated now. Why didn’t I bring water? I would do better. Soon my trained body would use stored glycogen and fat to fuel my runs, and I would carry water on long runs. I would still whiz off in the bushes as whizzing is a private matter, and I would devote some of my free time to policing the area along the trails I used. I wanted to be part of the running community and not just an interested outsider.

I was delirious when I met my wife at Starbucks and had a pumpkin scone and a venti Sumatra. Peas seemed less important than they had a short time ago. I’m looking at the folded over application for the local running club, that actually was printed out but never left the tray, and I realize that being part of a club is not really a priority. Perhaps I can start my own club. I set the rules and plan the runs, and I don’t even have to join. I’m a slave driver but I think I can take it.

No comments: