Monday, December 31, 2007

Running Hazards

I usually run early in the morning in the dark. It’s just the way it
works out and not really what I would choose. For some reason
darkness brings out the need for people to mess with the helpless
runner.


I have almost been clipped by car mirrors several times. Some
were just careless drivers, some were almost certainly
intentional. I only say this because the cars headlights came back
on and the engine started back up right after they zipped noiselessly
passed me, and they had shifted over into the oncoming traffic lane
to get extra close to me. I quit wearing the reflective vest after this
one; I think it’s best to give them as little time to think about
messing with you as possible.


I have been hit or narrowly missed by an array of flying objects:
coke cans, batteries, 32 ounces of sports drink (direct hit), and a
bullet (which I can only hope was fired for effect and not really with
intent to harm).


While running in the rain in Portland, OR (even for Portland this
was a particularly long winded storm and the streets were flooded)
I was completely soaked. A couple of young men decided to drive
into the small lake which had formed along the road; the wall of
water in their wake was impressive, and thinking that I could get
no wetter had been a mistake. I had a measure of appreciation for
their achievement, but it was short lived. The puddle grabbed their
tires and pulled them into the curb. They managed to bounce off,
regain control and speed away. I tried to wave to them but could
only get one finger to extend.


There’s no question that running can be hazardous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a pig and Pig Rock Church makes me smile too. I think I might visit it if I am ever in the area.

jessica