Friday, April 11, 2008

Wireless dongle

I don't have anything to say about dongles of any sort; I heard that term this morning and got a nice chuckle out of it so I thought I would share it with any of you who are dongle illiterate as I am.

As I ran this morning, a little old Datsun pickup went by me and reminded me of our ongoing fuel crisis, and how ignorant we seem to be. In the 70's my dad bought a couple little Datsun pickups; I can vouch for at least one of them as being nearly indestructible, and they were better on gas than today's small trucks. The industry average for fuel economy in the US in 1974 was better than it is today. How is that even possible? No one seems to care though, I work with many people who drive huge four door trucks with massive engines; they like the power and image, as the following clearly illustrates:
"It could pull a house!" he said, brimming with pride.
"Do they make anything bigger?" I wondered, "what if you need to pull two houses?"
"Smart ass!" he said; some of his pride was displaced by disgust.
"If it had two more doors it could be a limo-truck." I observed.
"I could drive right over the top of that little focus you drive!" pride once again winning out.
"That will come in handy; you're right, you have the better vehicle." I conceded.

As you can see, while I have good ideas about how things should be, I will never be a good representative for the cause. We just seem to be going backwards on so many issues, it's almost like the worse things get the more cavalier our attitudes become. When people won't buy small cars for reasons like they can't pull houses, or they won't be able to run over other vehicles anymore, then you know we have lost touch with reality. We need to come up with a really stiff fine for driving over other vehicles, and pulling houses should be illegal except at the fair. I guess we would just manufacture other absurd reasons to need big vehicles:

"If I get into some flaming quicksand, I just want to be able to blast right through it; try that in your focus!"

"If I get into a situation where I'm trapped under a semi, that just illegally drove over me, I want to be in a solid enough vehicle to survive so I can sue the jerk."

It occurs to me that I am ridiculous and it's time to go now.
Use less gas...Amen.

1 comment:

Echo said...

There's a market in town called A Dong Market--thought you could add that to your trivia file.

We have one of those house-pulling vehicles--I cringe whenever we have to drive it. Our other car lessens our environmental impact though (whew...), and it's the one we drive daily.