Saturday, July 5, 2008

Belated understanding of a valid question that...

...was not understood to be so at the time. Several months ago I posted that I had been asked what the point of doing this was. At the time I was in the middle of adjusting to exposing my thoughts for the rare visitor to my spot to read, and caught up in the personal growth I was experiencing. Many months later I have realized that people like Hemingway and Cervantes are who they are for a reason, and I have been asking myself what is the point of doing this. I guess that my hope was to be able to write things that other people would enjoy and maybe appreciate, but that is a very difficult thing to achieve or verify. I read back over what I have written and I enjoy much of it and it makes me feel good to have done it, so I guess it has been worthwhile. Sometimes I would like to write things that will always be relevant and meaningful, like something my Grandma once told me when I had expressed regret over a life choice. It was written by John Greenleaf Whittier(sp?) and said something like: Of all sad words of tongue or pen, these are the saddest: what might have been.
That has always been meaningful to me. I read the rest of the poem and it was ok, but that part was awesome. There's another lesson: it doesn't all have to be perfect to be meaningful or enjoyable. I decided today that I would put on some Mozart and write something meaningful. Right off the bat it went awry as I chose Tchaikovsky instead, but I decided to push ahead and try to come up with something meaningful...yes, it's another list:
-Always check for toilet paper before you begin the task at hand.
-Never under estimate the power of a falling tree.
-Make sure you're alone if your fiber intake is way up for the day.
-Always think twice about only thinking once.
-People always notice a bad haircut.

Gotta go, my wife just got back from shopping and my unloading skills are needed.

1 comment:

Echo said...

Your thoughts bring meaning, laughter and political savvy to my life...and you know how desperately I need the savvy part...