Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Great Depression

The great depression was a turning point in our country's development; why is it that things have to get so bad before they get better? What's wrong with just keeping them evenly "okay", and why do some people have to suffer in order for others to prosper?

Usually I plan out my epiphanies carefully, but this one just up and hit me like a small brick: Oil prices dropped below $127/barrel, from over $140, and I could feel the relief in the idea that maybe things weren't so bad after all. I know they are, and I know that my industry has hard times ahead, but I was happy to put the blinders back on and feel some relief. I think they are more like filters than blinders because I am filtering out what I don't want to see in my direct path, and not blocking distractions in the periphery...that's the trouble with equestrian analogies, they are hard to accurately apply.

The world has changed, and even though you still hear people talk about a "good war to boost the economy," I don't think it will help. Rosie the riveter has been in a two income household since the late 70's, and eligible for combat duty for quite a while too...that leaves only the children at home to work in the factories while mom and dad are away reigniting the economy, add to that the lack of a good global-level villain and it becomes obvious that war is not the answer to bad times anymore.

That leaves us with responsible behavior and selfless thinking as avenues for change...we are in deep doodoo...a brief pause while I put on Vivaldi...suddenly I'm in a world of mandolins and pantaloons, where self absorbed people in castles enjoy the best things in life, even as the tax collector takes a few pennies from dirt covered peasants. Another small brick arrives unannounced; things have not changed in the history of humanity; we have always ridden the good times until they were long gone, and then, after discovering the true depth of the chasm we created, we begin to claw our way out and think how silly the generations before us were.

It's funny that after all is said and done I still feel better that oil prices are down, my company's stock price is up and the rumble of large American engines fills the roads around here...things aren't so bad. I think I'll buy some stuff that I want but don't really need; wasn't that the point of the stimulus checks? just get out there and spend some money...good times for all. That idea came from the top level of our leadership...deep, deep doodoo.

With the rising sun the good things in life are visible again...they have nothing to do with money: The sounds of birds, the feel of dirt on bare feet, the smell of morning dew; life is good. I almost feel like going back and editing out the negative parts of this, the trouble with that would be that I would have to accept that I just wasted an hour, and there would be very little left to read.

I woke up with a headache at 4:20 and am just now feeling better. I think I'll go for a run now. The things that count really are good, and they always will be.

No comments: