Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mothera

I let the cat and dog out this morning and just got a hold of the cat again before she spotted this moth on the deck. We have many fascinating insects here, but I had never seen a moth like this. I grabbed the camera and snapped a shot of what was certainly rare and possibly unknown as of yet; it turns out that it is fairly well known and common; isn't that the way it always is? This particular Luna moth had a wing span of about 4 inches and looked like a sea ray. Not much else going on here, just heat and humidity and me with nothing to say for once. I guess I'll leave it at that.

1 comment:

Echo said...

I've always wanted to see one of these moths! Have you read The Very Quiet Cricket? Everytime I get to the Luna moth page, I'm enthralled. Would you send me a photo to show my students??