Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Used oil and sagging buns

A guy I work with drives a large truck with a 200 gallon tank in the back of it that he collects waste oil in to make bio-diesel. The weight of the tank makes the rear of the truck squat noticeably. Recently the tank was removed, but the rear of the truck is stuck in a permanent squat.

As I was running this morning it occurred to me that the same thing happens to people as we carry life's burdens around and don't unload them often enough; sometimes it wouldn't hurt to just say "sorry, I can't carry that right now." It's something that I have a hard time doing; I hear about the struggles of people I care about and they become mine too. Add to this my own supply of struggles and you have a recipe for a squatting rear end. Down here in Georgia I hear a lot less than I used to about the struggles of my people, my peeps, my posse, and as a result I've had a few brief spells of standing tall and stretching out muscles that have been frozen in a squat for quite some time. I know it's my own lack of skills that amplifies life's effects on me, and I feel bad that being mentally removed from some of the things that I suffer through, but couldn't possibly change, has helped me heal. I wish I could be supportive without becoming catatonic, neurotic or plumbic......it's heavy...the whole squatting rear end thing...whatever.

Damned -ic words anyway, hardly a good one in the bunch...let's explore that:
lethargic
caustic
pathetic
colonic
moronic
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...cathartic

1 comment:

Echo said...

This is so true...I knew my sagging behind wasn't just due to age! I was told, firmly I might add, that it's important to step back and recuperate. Distance has given you perspective and renewed energy--only positive steps can come from that...