Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The coffee chronicles

Day 2 and my outlook is improving. I am encouraged by the level of alertness I felt this morning; maybe I didn't get as much from coffee as I thought. I needed Excedrin twice yesterday, but only once today; I am comforted by the reduced withdrawal symptoms today.


There are other unforeseen consequences involved with quitting coffee. I am basically going through the five stages of loss, and I've already expressed my dislike for loss in general. I was angry at coffee yesterday, as I endured a throbbing headache. Today I am making a deal with my higher power to postpone the complete reality of my loss. I expect some depression tomorrow, and I should be good to go by Friday.

There is an interesting side note to this whole experience. I dreamed that my son was robbing an espresso/ice cream shop. I walked into the store and said "son, what are you doing?"
"It's no big deal Dad," he seemed irritated that I was there.
Before I said anything else, I saw some coffee and said, "Oh, I think I'll get some coffee."
"Okay," he said as he dipped a soft serve ice cream into some chocolate sprinkles.
Basically, I was willing to sidestep my parental duties for a cup of coffee...that's bad.

Somehow Hillary stole Texas after I went to bed last night, I knew I should have stayed awake. Maybe I could have phoned someone as I saw the obviously erroneous numbers roll across the screen, as it is there was no one watching that cares about the future of our country. That was just a joke, I'm sure there are some Hillary supporters out there that still care about the country on some level. Probably a good stopping point.

Auf wiedersehen.

1 comment:

Echo said...

I wish you'd stayed awake too--maybe some coffee would help?