Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hershey knows best

In the peaceful, rainy darkness I awoke. Before moving I opened my eyes slightly and surveyed the room; everything was in it's place, there had been no intruders in the night, at least none that left signs of their invasion. It was 4:30 AM, and very dark out still. It was still nighttime, why the hell was I awake? Oh yes, work. The body next to me snored softly, at least she had stopped that incessant licking.

"Hey," I said, "are you awake?"
Hershey wagged her tail and rolled into me, taking even more of the bed than she already had.
"Can I get you anything?" I asked her, "maybe some grapes?"
Her body wagged at the thought of grapes, or maybe at just being spoken to kindly.
"Want to go to the vet today?" I asked her cheerfully, "get a painful procedure done?"
Her body wagged even more.
"I still love you," I told her, "even though you're daft."
Hershey pushed over and took even more of the bed, as if to say:
"Go shower and get ready for your drudgery, I'm going to lay here for a while longer."
"By the way," she continued, "who's the daft one here?"

1 comment:

Echo said...

Good Girl, Hershey! Just don't let The Beasts know where you sleep or I'll have mutiny on my hands...