Friday, March 14, 2008

Pine Straw

When I lived in Portland, we used to spread bark mulch over the bare areas of our yard, mostly around bushes and flowers. In Georgia they do the same thing with pine straw, which is actually pine needles that are bailed like hay. I'm not sure why they call it pine straw, but they have a knack for finding unlikely ways to describe many things here in Georgia, which they also like to check and make sure you heard.

Here are a few examples:

Instead of turning on the lights, you cut them on.
"Cut them lights on, hear me?"

Instead of being a New Yorker, you become a Yankee bastard.
"Damn know it all Yankee bastard, hear me?"

Instead of heavily fried foods being a concern for the heart conscious, they're good eatin'.
"Mmmmmmmm, now that's good eatin', hear me?"

Instead of contemplating an action, you decide if you might could do it.
"I might could outghta do that."

Anyway, the pine straw is starting to show up in yards and public areas as people prepare for spring. As I ran this morning I noticed the pine straw spread all around Pig Rock church. Even Pig Rock itself was surrounded by pine straw. It looks like it's curled up in a nice bed; I was happy for it.

Take care all, hear me?

1 comment:

Echo said...

Love the Pig Rock imagery. My CC&Rs require me to rake and dispose of my pine needles...once again, I'm forked...