Saturday, March 22, 2008

Oatmeal and donuts

After enduring three terrible weeks of coffee withdrawals, I smelled a fresh espresso at the Starbucks which was conveniently placed near the entrance to my grocery store. The fresh coffee smelled so good, and that's when I figured out why I stopped drinking it; I had stopped enjoying it, and really just needed it. I went over and bought a small Cafe Estima blend, and my gosh was it good. I now drink a 12 oz cup of coffee once a day, and I am still enjoying it tremendously... I think I need to get new coffee cups at home though, the smaller amount of coffee is like a puddle in the bottom of some of my cups...I think I could stretch leather over some of my cups and create a trendy set of kettle drums. Maybe I could move to Santa Fe, NM and sell my creations, or I could buy an old store there and help dead people cross over to the light, I wonder what that pays?

So, what does this all have to do with global warming? Absolutely nothing. Now, the fire flies that were out in our yard last night, in March, that may have something to do with it. If we could only figure out a way to seasonally upset the design of the universe; I really like spring, summer and fall the way they are, but if we could develop some intelligent cfcs or pvcs that would float up and do a little seasonal damage to our atmosphere to make winter more palatable, I would vote for that. I have yet to hear the candidate that supports seasonal global warming, in fact, I have yet to hear the candidate that has even acknowledged that we are doing anything wrong here on planet earth. I wonder if lots of bombs going off could add to the warming effects? Wouldn't that be funny, if we spent one trillion dollars blowing things up in Iraq, and they spent what ever they could afford blowing us up, and the side effect was the increase of global warming? The short answer is NO, it's not funny at all, the only shorter answer is N, and that just doesn't make any sense.

All of this brings us around to oatmeal and donuts, a double stack cheese burger and a diet coke, salad with bacon on it, "fat free" potato chips with olestra, and the list goes on; oxymorons that illustrate our desire to do what ever we want to, and have no consequences. The guy who has the desk next to me at work is trying to trim some weight by eating better foods. Yesterday he tried oatmeal and donuts; not gonna work. What we need are super donuts; these lumps of deep fried goodness would be enriched with things like crestor, fiber, laxatives, and antioxidants to counteract the harm they do.

Well, the sun is coming up and it's already 50 degrees; there's not a cloud in the sky and I think 40 degrees would be a more normal temp on a March morning, but it is so beautiful out and the day promises to be gorgeous so I can't really complain; just send me an economic stimulus bribe and I'll keep my mouth shut.

Peace out.

1 comment:

Echo said...

I'm working on the donut recipe--the dough's a little runny... Your mind never ceases to amaze me--I read an article this a.m. and know you could give the author a run for his money. Have your people call mine and we'll talk. And I'm so glad we can share Starbucks again--I shed a little tear of joy when I read your post :)