Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I Am Alive

The fog settled in over the barren, dimly lit field. The sky was dark, the threat of tornadoes ominous. We gathered silently, apprehensive about what was ahead of us, unsure of what to expect.

Okay, that's not really an accurate description. It had been a beautiful, sunny day, and had transitioned into a beautiful, starlit night. The fields covering the 10 acre sports complex were illuminated in the artificial daylight of the intense floodlights, and games of soccer and softball were in full swing. We were apprehensive though.

Our group was gathering in the public gym to play some basketball, a little B-ball, throwin' around the rock. Our apprehension was due mainly to the fact that we were old, and feared injury. One youngster, who was certainly less than 30, was given one rule: Don't be too good.
None of us actually threw out the "O" word, but, as we stretched our stiff muscles and rickety joints, it hung palpably over us all, except the youngster, he had a rainbow over him.

My first trip down the court was a breakaway. I sped to the basket and leaped too early, I was on my way back to earth, and still too far away for a decent layup. I improvised, and just prior to touchdown released a finger-roll that hit the front of the rim and went straight to the nearest member of the other team. I turned to run back on defense with a huge grin on my face, and I didn't feel a day over 30.

It was just sports, no stats or refs, just guys trying hard and playing fair; man did I feel alive.
Plus, it was my speed work for the week; it was win-win. I like win-win, because it means I have one less thing to do this week.

1 comment:

Echo said...

Not enjoying so much win-win here...glad you are :) That's how volleyball used to make me feel...