Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A fond farewell to coffee

I woke up this morning and the world was still turning; it was a good start to my first full day post-coffee.

The flu that I had last week made it so I couldn't taste my coffee, and the hot fluid really hurt the sores on my tonsils anyway. I'm over the flu, and coffee still didn't taste good to me. Maybe the fever damaged my taste buds, maybe now that the coffee cycle was broken it would take some getting used to again, or maybe it was just a good time to stop.

I have been drinking coffee for a long time. I started drinking it when I started working graveyard shift when I was 24. I quit working graveyards last year, so maybe I'm just done with coffee too.

One of the first questions they always ask me at the doctors office is, "How much caffeine do you drink?" I guess the way that conversation will go from now on is:
"No, I don't drink alcohol or caffeine, I don't smoke, I eat low fat, I eat very little meat, I run a lot, and am not over weight. And, yes, my cholesterol is through the roof.

I actually get tested again next week to see if my liver enzymes are still elevated from the cholesterol treatment. If the cholesterol numbers are down, and my liver is okay, then I will share my regimen of supplements. If not, I will probably be smoking and drinking be next Wednesday and becoming reacquainted with coffee by Thursday.

1 comment:

Echo said...

This is a sad day...I've loved sharing Starbucks with you...sigh...sigh...sigh...