Saturday, February 2, 2008

Blah Blah Blogging

I awoke before dawn, but she lives on the west coast and I'm in Georgia so that's not that big a deal. It was not only dark out, but the sun was still hours from showing itself. I awoke somewhat agitated because of a dream I had, in which my son was failing school. I lay there and reasoned that my fears were only about me and my lack of control over something as important to me as my son's success in life is. It helped, but I was done sleeping, so I joined Oreos in the nook for a bite to eat. We don't have a nook, it's more of an open area in front of a window, but Oreos was there and I was there and it had a nook-like ambiance to it.

Oreos hops up and heads for the laundryroom, where both her food and litter box are kept. She gallops around and meows until I follow her. Thinking that she must need food, I enter the room and see that her bowl still has food in it; I begin to realize that something else is afoot. She leaps into her litter box and gets busy. I was pretty sure she was smiling at me at this point, it turns out that she was concentrating a good bit. Hershey (the dog) was asleep in my bed, so I was able to whisk away the toxicity before she could get to it. She's taken it upon herself to clean the cat box regularly. When I do have the honor of sifting the poop from the litter I always comment on how Hershey is slacking on her chores. She is selective about what she takes from the litter box though; the other day Oreos completely missed the litter box (how is that even possible?), and Hershey just let the urine sit there on the floor untill my wife cleaned it up... I guess I'm selective as well (I need to revisit my selection process). If I had only left a shirt on the floor, Oreos would have mopped it up herself during her usual scraping of the wall, the floor, and anything else that is near the box but not actually in it.

I head back to my high fiber cereal and a hot cup of Christmas blend. As I choke down my multi-vitamin, salmon oil, flax seed oil, niacin, anti-oxidants, glucosamine, and metamucil, I wonder how to best help my son and inspire him. My method is, "just get it done, want to or not." That's not very inspiring, and not received very well outside of the salt mine. Actually, it's not received well inside the salt mine either. Who ever thought of mining salt anyway?
I guess that's the angle to take,

Dad - "Stay out of the salt mines son, does that make sense?"
Son - "No dad, that makes no sense at all."
Dad - "Just get it done son, want to or not."
Son - "That's not very inspiring."
Dad - "It's all I've got son."
Son - "Don't you hate how history repeats itself?"
Dad - "You are a wonderful human being and you will be ok."
Son - "Thanks dad" (probably a bit choked up)
Dad - "Sometimes things repeat themselves and it's okay."

It will soon be light enough for me to head out for a nice weekend run; everything is always better after running. I'll probably figure out how to be inspiring in the first few miles, but I will also probably forget again in the last few.

As always,
run, always run.

1 comment:

Echo said...

You're too clever for me--the first sentence went right over my head until I reread your post! Can I fall back on your salt mine rhetoric when J. starts college???