Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mid-winter break

We're off to Portland to see the kids. This is a much anticipated trip, with a lot of room for good things to happen. There is no room for bad things, so I'm hoping this fact repells them.

On saturday my son and I are going to go to the Washington state wrestling tournament to close the final door on what once was. The youngest of his old teammates is a senior and poised to win a state championship. This is a guy that we travelled to Montana, Idaho, Nevada and Oklahoma with for wrestling tournaments, so there is some history there. The younger brother of my son's number one competitor is a senior also, and is ranked number one at his weight too. It should be a good day...the nostalgia factor is in play already, and I haven't seen anyone face to face yet.

My son is back in school and doing well, and I am very proud of who he is. When I think of his wrestling days it's not that I wish he were someone else, just that I fully expected him to be wrestling in college now. He was wonderful to watch compete; not the most athletic, strongest, or fittest, but he overcame all of this and was a fierce competitor.

Who knows, by the time we get back our house may have sold, I may have won the lottery, and the stars may have rearranged themselves to spell random messages that only I can decipher. "Why are you building a fortified bunker in your yard dude?"
"No reason, I just want to be prepared if a large asteroid stirkes, oh, let's say Miami."
"Why are you wearing a garlic necklace dude?"
"No reason, I just want to be prepared if a bunch of undead swarm the town."

I made someone undead one time...twice actually. It didn't take a dried chickens foot ar anything special to do it. I'm thinking of giving a class on it if anyone is interested...let me know.

Gotta run, literally, it's a drive that I just can't explain. If I don't run for a while due to sickness or injury, I start to dream about running. Anyway, I'll be back.

1 comment:

Echo said...

Enjoy Saturday, past and present--what a great experience to share with your son. Really curious about the undead thing...put that on Sunday's agenda.