Saturday, February 2, 2008

Post run

Unfortunately, my run did not enlighten me on the subject of inspiration. I did however have a nonstop stream of rhyming, like a childrens nursery rhyme, going on inside my head. It all began when my neighbor waved to me, and so did the next one, and the next one, whom I didn't really know, nodded her head in appreciation of my commitment to running, I think.

Mrs. Thompson said "howdy"
Bill and Ken did the same
Another nodded her head
Though I don't know her name
The air was so crisp
The birds twittered in flight
I like running in daylight
Much more than at night
I sped round a corner
The UPS driver waved
From a huge four wheel drive
Though the roads are all paved
My heart rate picked up
The sweat started to glisten
"Slow down," screamed my lungs
But my legs didn't listen
I ran through the square
And through the Gazeebo
Those runs on the eliptical
Were but a placeebo
There is no replacement
For an actual run
To feel so alive
To have so much fun

And that's how it went, line after line of silliness coming together as I put in some good miles. There were a few lines that were negative but I changed directions quickly. They were mostly about work, like:
They took my benefits and cut my pay
But with the prestige I earn here
I said what the hay
I've nothing better to do
As the years roll away...

You can see why I abandoned that line of thinking. It was too nice a morning for that.
No one has called me, so I don't think we won the lottery. Oh well, I think it's better if you struggle for your money. I believe that you appreciate it more that way; that's what I've heard anyway.

If you want to be inspired by uplifting music, listen to The Nutcracker Suite.

I'm out.

No comments: