Friday, February 1, 2008

The lottery

Whenever the lottery jackpot is above 50 million a bunch of us at work pool our money and buy tickets. The best part of the whole ritual is the day before the drawing, when I allow myself to explore the possibility of instant wealth. We rarely match even one number and I don't actually watch the drawing or check on the numbers at all; I'm sure someone would call me if we won. In that time before failure reappears, when possibilities fill my head, there is a sense of joy that I find when I consider not having to go back to the salt mine... Alas, life goes on.

Back to life, back to reality, back to the salt mine, back to the long oar. "Pull," the sound of a whip cracking splits the air like a rifle shot. We pull on the oars and propell the ship forward. Meanwhile up on the deck Christopher Columbus gets all the glory. Damn you to hell Christopher, you got lost at sea and still became famous. My company actually unwittingly continued Columbus' work; He was going to India and ended up in America, My job started in America and ended up in India. That is some ridiculous shiznit.

Shiznit of course brings up my next point, which is that I am both hip and slang savvy. Savvy is my middle name. I was often ridiculed for it as a child; "Savvy doesn't get it," they'd say, or "Savvy doesn't understand," or, "Savvy is stupid." Kids can be so cruel.

If I could just win the lottery I could afford some therapy. Please, oh powers that be, let me have therapy.

No comments: