Thursday, January 31, 2008

The request

I got a letter from my Mom, and she thinks that I should write something about all of the good parts of me and not just about my faults.

I called her in her hospital room last night where she is recovering from knee replacement surgery. She was groggy and sounded exhausted but wanted to know how we were all doing. She always steers the conversation toward everyone elses well being, and leaves no one out. Once I started talking about some things I think she may have dozed off for a minute, but the point is that she is one of the kindest people I have ever known. When she woke up, and we ended the conversation, it occured to me that talking to her always brings peace to my life.

I had kids and married very young (that was nearly the order of things) ; I was just begining down the road to adulthood and didn't know what my thoughts on life were yet. As a young parent I did the best I could, and I couldn't have loved my kids more. I see their struggles now and recognize them as mine, and I just wish I had known myself before becoming their Dad.

My wife is similar to my Mom in that everyone loves her and she is always thinking about how to help others. She is an animal whisperer of sorts; her connection to our animals ,and her understanding of what they need, like, or want has always amazed me. When we first met, we were walking and saw a penny lying on the ground heads up. She said that she would leave it for someone else because she had all the luck she needed. That is why I love her, for so many reasons.

I find many things funny, and can elaborate on them and make myself laugh. Often times I exaggerate things because it makes them funnier to me, especially when I realize that my perspective is flawed. I don't really think poorly of myself and I do appreciate the gifts that I have been given in life, but that's not funny to me so it won't be on the tip of my tonuge often.

All right Mom, I tried. You know my good points, and I appreciate that I am so similar to you in some really good ways. When I was a goofy and lost twenty year old, you watched me console Chris after his last highschool wrestling match, and afterward you pulled me aside and told me that I was a truly good person. That meant so much to me at that moment in my life.

I do know that I'm good.

1 comment:

Echo said...

Yes, you are...in every way that makes the world a better place.