Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 Will be great

2008 Will Be Great

That is actually my wife's slogan for the New Year. The idea is that after the stress of the last couple of years, this one has to be better. It's like flipping a coin; each year has a 50/50 shot at being crappy, but the odds of crappiness go way down when you're trying for the third consecutive year.



I started the new year off with a handful of gel caps and crestor designed to lower my cholesterol. Chased down with a Vita-mixed fruit and cabbage concoction (designed to ward off cancer) were many representatives from the alphabet as well as oils of both: flax seed and salmon. Armed with my guide, "The new 8 - week cholesterol cure" by Robert E. Kowalski, I intend to eventually "achieve optimum cholesterol levels without prescription drugs."



I am also savoring a venti Sumatra from Starbucks, which is so enjoyable to me that it must be leaching the life from me in some way that I just don't understand yet. It sounds like whining, but if we examine the enjoyment/harm ratio of the good things in life we quickly see that enjoyment = bad. Lets just name a few of the good things that were once not understood to be harmful:

1. Triple chocolate cake with fudge frosting and French vanilla ice cream.

2. Tobacco (along with the opium poppy, the financial basis of world economics at one time)

3. Pre and post dinner drinks, when preceded by the late afternoon cocktails and followed by the night cap. (Of course if one can eliminate three of the four pieces, this cruel puzzle is rendered harmless)

4. Salt (it's preservation properties protect the food supplies of the world = BAD)

5. Fat (both eating and transporting excessive amounts)

6. Working long hours in a high stress environment while being grossly underpaid.

7. Taking your cell phone on vacation with you ( no matter how benign the commercial makes it seem)

8. French fries, French toast, French Vanilla(previously identified as bad), French roast coffee (but that's just a taste issue that I have), pretty much anything that starts with French.

9. Chitlins (I'm not sure what they are but I do know they are bad)

10. Celery (This is the feel good item of the list, the one thing that allows us to honestly commit to cutting back on)

I'm off to run pig rock route number 1. There is actually no such thing, but the charter for my running club requires me to set out designated routes and name them; I don't know why I ever raised the motion, seconded it and voted all in favor of "aye." I need to recount the votes and see if I actually elected myself president, I seem to be an ineffectual leader.

No comments: