Monday, January 21, 2008

Hope

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important." -Martin Luther King Jr.

It's hard to believe that this is a quote from only 40 years ago. How could we ever have needed a law to say that lynching was illegal for any reason, let alone simply because of skin tone? Is that just the way we are as humans? Without the law would it still be going on today? The depressing reality of the racial issues in the world can quickly lead to lost hope, and to asking the question, "Will it ever end?" But the message of Martin Luther King Jr. was one of hope, and the belief that one day things would be different.

-Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

-Life's most persistent and urgent question is, "What are you doing for others?"

I guess that if I were being honest, I would have to say that I am not typically doing anything to anyone, but I can't say that I am doing much for anyone either.

So, as I head out to run and contemplate the value of my life, I'll start out with this thought:

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Peace to all.

1 comment:

Echo said...

Very powerful and well written. We were of the same mind-set today...