Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Someday

As unlikely a spot to begin this as my cat's urinating is, that is where this begins. My cat is missing several of what you might call "key" cat components. She can slide off of your lap and land flat on her back on the floor while letting out a helpless little meow. After she uses her litter box she stands outside of the box and reaches for the air, the wall, or anything she thinks may somehow cover her urine. She then puts her nose back in the box to see how she did, and then reaches for more air. I wont even go into how she handles her other bodily function.

While marvelling at her litter box ritual, I moved farther back in my closet so I wouldn't further distract her. This is where I saw my life's collection of writing stacked up on a shelf. I began writing some 23 years ago and still have it all stored away. As I looked through it I came across writing from what my sister calls the dark years. Her dark years were different from mine but the idea is the same. I opened an envelope that said " Please do not open." After reading some of what I had written long ago (not that long ago really) I wished that I had listened, and, after re-closing it, marked it "please do not open, ever...seriously!"

It seems that the recurring theme throughout the years has been poetry. Some insightful and moving, some dreadful. Who's to say which this is...

Someday

Someday may never come, As yesterday promised anew.

Someday may have gone, Our tomorrows have become so few.

Someday left us hope, For what today left us to rue.

Someday is a lie, That everyday makes true.

Someday never held, What yesterday thought it may.

Someday disappears, Before tomorrow comes our way.

Someday leaves only hope, And today only dismay.

Someday's only truth, Is that someday is today.

Ciao

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your poem brought tears to my eyes. The dark years haunt us, yet helped shape us--we were strong enough to leave them in the dark...

Love, Your Sister (Neo-Purcy-Roger!)