Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My Daughter

Sometimes there are no words to describe something accurately. Sometimes the whole is so complex that there is no way to encompass it all with words. I am sitting here looking at the other item that is prominently displayed on my desk. It is a framed paragraph that my daughter wrote as a sophomore in high school. I am the subject of it, and it details why I am the person she admires most. The idea that I could be that to anyone is special, but being that to my daughter is moving beyond words. I am not sure I deserved that.

As parents we do the best we can, as our parents did, but we are usually not able to handle everything the way we wish we could. I guess that being able to look back and see the best parts of what was intended, and to understand that if we could have done better we would have, is the best we can hope for. Sometimes looking back is the only way to appreciate things for what they were in reality, and not what they felt like they were amidst the struggles of daily life.



A long slow breath of life and of living,
Agonizingly slow moments of pain and loss and love and hope,
Compressed into the blink of an eye.
Memories vivid and moving, aged to perfection;
A life better remembered.

Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know, Dad, that you still are that person! As much as you have apoligized over the years for "messing up" or "not doing it right" there is no need!! What is "the right way"? There are so many wrongs but really is there ever a right? People try so hard and get old and die! And that is just the way life presents itself to me right now. But I know that I was taken care of, I was loved tremendously, and most importantly I was taught how to love! And if I have nothing left to offer this world but that, then I am ok with it! You can't go into to anything with expectations, especially raising a child, because there are so many things that change each day! I think you and Mom did a wonderful job and that is all I could have asked for from you both! It is like you always said. People are raised certain ways but when they are old enough it is there choice of what kind of person to be! You and Mom did a wonderful job and raised to beautiful, loving, and very capable children!

I love you Dad!

Anonymous said...

This is a nice article and I agree that as parents we can only do what we think best. Just by asking ourselves daily how we are doing, is telling us that we are doing fine.