Friday, January 25, 2008

A disturbing trend

I noticed that a little vulgarity and some mild profanity has found it's way into my blog. At first I was a little embarrassed by this, and actually regretted some of the off color commentary. But then I decided to say the hell with it, and embrace it as what it is; part of who I am. I have just the thinnest vein of tackiness that runs through me, and that's OK.

So, we're in the carpool in the morning and our commute takes us right by a sewage plant. On mornings when the odor is particularly nasty, one guy feels compelled to comment on it. Apparently the facility operates by rotating a large blade around through the waste so it processes easier. On most mornings the comments are similar if not identical.

"They're churning up some dookie this morning fellas," or,

"It's a big blender, just mixin up a big ole dookie cocktail."

I find this funny mostly because dookie sounds funny, but also because it is so gross. What makes gross things humorous? Why are large, human-like genitalia that hang from a truck funny? The campfire scene in Blazing saddles? Austin Powers and his nutty coffee?
I think it's because we're all a little tacky. Most of us use it like sarcasm, where a little bit goes a long way, but others let it define them. Those of us who let it be who we are all the time are funny to everyone some of the time and to no one any more than that.

A guy I know is always finding the most bizarre and tacky information that is available on the Internet. Some of it is funny, like: the photos of Bigfoot on Mars, the 8 lb. hamburger eating contest, the "rarest disease", where one twin was enveloped by the other and still lives in his belly. But conversations rarely go beyond the playing of corn hole, which is actually a very popular game of tossing bags which are filled with corn, through a hole in a board. All it takes to play corn hole is corn filled bags, boards with holes in them, and a good supply of beer. The name corn hole is so tacky that it is a bit funny the first time you hear it, but the humor is then gone forever, and hearing about it all the time becomes a source of serious irritation. He actually carries a card showing that he belongs to the corn hole association of America.

So, I think that finding humor in some semi-tacky things is OK. I just don't want to wake up some day and realize that I have large testicles...hanging from my truck. You see how that works? Tacky, but there is a little fringe humor there too.

Tomorrows post will be of value, I promise.

No comments: