Thursday, January 3, 2008

Pig Rock




As I ran past Pig Rock (PR) yesterday I found myself reflecting on the wisdom it had to offer.

PR sticks up out up out of a grass field in front of a church and looks like a large pig laying on it's right side. In the early morning darkness the rock is lit up on one side from the lights of the church. Pig Rock Church (PRC) is quiet at this hour; this has no relevance to anything and was added only to pad the artistic impression of this piece.




Pig rock is not a named landmark and the good folks in PRC may well be offended to know that this is the name I have given it. If I can figure out how to attach a photo to this, then the name will become permanent for all who read it. Unless you see things the way my wife does and then it becomes hippo rock, or , as my niece sees it, alligator rock.




When I first showed PR to my wife in the light of day, she immediately said that it looked like a hippo. When I run by it now, I alternately see a pig or a hippo.




When I asked my niece what she saw, she looked up, and kept looking at it as we drove past and then said it looked like an alligator. Running in the dark I had never seen the back side illuminated, and when I turned to look at it as we went by I surely saw the alligator too.




Saying Pig Rock and Pig Rock church makes me smile, so, as president of the run route naming committee, Pig Rock it is. There is no denying that if someone else had named it first, than there are possibilities that have probably not occurred to me yet that would seem appropriate.




The same thing seen through different eyes has a multitude of interpretations.

No comments: